Structural Analysis Engineer
Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique yet practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just four years from now.
Radiant is seeking a highly motivated structural analysis engineer to develop new hardware with a team of experienced engineering professionals in a fast-paced startup environment. The candidate will be responsible for performing structural analysis on a wide variety of components in support of developing Kaleidos.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Perform detailed structural analysis (static strength, durability/fatigue) to determine structural integrity (margins of safety) using both hand calculations and finite element tools. Types of components/subsystems to be analysis include but are not limited to for the following:
- Reactor core pressure vessel
- Reactor internal components and mechanisms
- Radiation shielding and thermal insulation
- Process piping and support structures
- Transportation structure and assembly tooling
- Guide structural design of components and subsystems in order to meeting mechanical requirements and environmental conditions.
- Perform trade studies to optimize structure and meet program requirements.
- Collect requirements, provide expertise and feedback to engineers in other functional areas via clear, constructive communication.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Mechanical, Aeronautical, Civil or Structural Engineering.
- 3+ years of experience performing stress analysis (static and fatigue) using both hand calculations and finite element tools.
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- Solid first-principles analysis skillset.
- Proficiency with both “hand calc” analytical methods and higher fidelity Finite Element based analysis methods. Track record of appropriate fidelity selection, based on engineering questions to be answered.
- Able to efficiently and accurately derive free-body diagram-based models and control volume-based models for systems with which one was not previously familiar.
- Experience with using Python or other text-based software languages for purposes of performing engineering calculations.
- Ability to relocate to Radiant’s office in El Segundo, CA (Greater Los Angeles Area).
- Ability to work or gain permission to work on export – controlled technologies based in the United States.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Mechanical, Aeronautical, Civil or Structural Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience performing stress analysis (static and fatigue) using both hand calculations and finite element tools such as NASTRAN, ANSYS, ABAQUS, or similar.
- Experience performing fracture analysis using NASGRO / NASFLA.
- Experience performing combined structural and thermal analysis of graphite and ceramic structural components.
- Solid understanding and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experience with structural testing (pressure proof, structural loading, vibe, etc.), including support of instrumentation (strain gages, etc) placement and data analysis.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all salaried employees
Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.