Director of Nuclear Engineering
Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials.
Radiant partners with multiple national laboratories and universities and has won awards from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense. We are on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design in the digital era, just four years from now.
Radiant is seeking a highly motivated leader and direct contributor to organize nuclear design and analysis strategy culminating in building and fueling a reactor that achieves commercial success. This is a unique opportunity, and a leadership position with increasing responsibility as the team grows into a department.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Own core design and analysis efforts, manage the nuclear engineering team to efficiently execute the strategy, removing roadblocks and adapting to shifting priority
- Identify and manage risks in the design and development process and communicate to ensure they are addressed properly
- Report directly to the CEO, develop nuclear engineering strategy, grow the team as the company scales in size
- Provide expertise to engineers in mechanical, fluids, electrical, and software teams
- Interact with Universities, National Labs, and other outside entities to accomplish key objectives
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing a team in reactor design and analysis
- Thorough understanding of life cycle for production reactors: shipping, assembly, calibration, bringup(startup), testing, commercial operation, decommissioning, spent fuel transport.
- Ability to easily differentiate and categorize analysis tasks as schedule-critical, product-critical, optimization studies, or nice-to-haves.
- Moderate programming language experience in Python, C++, or C#, or scientific computing language
- Communicate effectively within a collaborative and multidisciplinary group
- Have an attitude of ownership and mentorship over core design aspects
- Must be willing to relocate to Radiant office in El Segundo, CA.
- MOOSE framework and applications experience: BISON, SAM, or other relevant nuclear analysis codes
- Analysis experience in Monte Carlo neutron transport codes: OpenMC, Serpent, or MCNP
- Familiarity with DOE Authorization and/or NRC requirements and process
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Hold a degree in nuclear engineering, physics, engineering physics from accredited institution
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Hands-on experience designing products, hardware, or tests
Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all salaried employees
Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.